Section 1.3.5 - Completing A Serial Configuration
Having successfully installed the FocusLynx software, connected to your focuser hub, and configured your focuser type, you can now use the following instructions to complete a focuser serial configuration. Alternatively, you may use any of the other connectivity options detailed in the Configuring Software section of the FocusLynx manual.
To complete a serial configuration:
- Set Nickname - It might be a good idea to identify which focuser or telescope is associated with Focuser 1 and Focuser 2. You may set the focuser nickname by entering any description into the Nickname text box.
- Home The Focuser - If you want to start the focuser at its factory-set "Home" position, click the Home button.
- Sync The Focuser - If you would like to sync your focuser to a particular step position, enter the step position and click the Sync button.
- Set Temperature Compensation Offset - The digital temperature sensors used in the temperature probe are very precise but not necessarily very accurate. If the reported temperature varies a few degrees from the actual ambient temperature, you may use the Temperature Offset text box to apply a positive or negative adjustment within a range of plus or minus 10 degrees Celsius. Contact Optec if your temperature probe varies more than a few degrees from the actual ambient temperature.
NOTE: Remember that temperature compensation relies upon temperature differentials only and not absolute temperatures. Be sure to affix the temperature probe to the telescope tube as it is only the actual telescope temperature variation that will affect focus.
- Adjust LED Brightness - If you find the focuser hub's power indication LED adversely affects your night vision, you may adjust its brightness with the LED Brightness slider. The range of brightness varies from left to right, starting with no light at all and moving to full brightness.
- Enable Backlash Compensation - If your focuser has a noticeable amount of backlash, check the Backlash Compensation Enabled checkbox to enable compensation.
- Set Backlash Steps - Enter a number of steps into the Backlash Comp. Steps text box to adjust to the level of backlash compensation your focuser requires. You may set the number of steps to a maximum of 99 steps in the OUT direction only.
- Reverse Directions - Reverses the direction of focus motor for use with focusers with different gearing
- Temperature Compensation Mode and Description - Displays which temperature compensation mode is selected. See Temperature Coefficients to determine the coefficient for your particular telescope setup.
- Immediate Temperature Compensation - If you want to begin temperature compensation immediately upon opening FocusLynx Commander, check the Temp. Comp. At Start Enabled checkbox.
- Confirm Your Configuration - When you are finished, click the Ok button to save your changes and return to the main FocusLynx Commander window.
Congratulations! Your hub and focuser are now ready to use! You may use the current configuration to connect or disconnect from a focuser by clicking the Connect or Disconnect buttons in the Setup Window, the Connect or Disconnect buttons in the Focusers menu of the main window, or by clicking the LED above each focuser information display in the main window.